Welcome to Huegel Elementary School!
Huegel Elementary is proud to be a neighborhood school with a strong sense of community created by its families, staff, students and community members. We believe that every child can learn and grow, and we work hard to make sure that all students reach their full potential. Our talented teaching staff consistently collaborates to support students’ learning through enriching academic opportunities, and also focuses on developing students’ social-emotional character.
Academic achievement is paramount at Huegel. Our staff provide a rigorous education for all students, supported by instructional technology that enhances learning. Our library media center features an engaging makerspace area, as well as thousands of books for students to check out. Huegel also has several active parent groups that meet to support our school and each other.
Our school supports MMSD's vision that all students acquire the skills and abilities needed to be successful, including a mastery of content areas, growth mindset, self-knowledge, creativity, wellness, interpersonal skills, confidence, cultural competence, and community connection. Through these skills and abilities, our students will graduate college, career, and community ready.
All students ﬁnd their own place at Huegel. Teachers encourage individual expression and growth. Students enjoy Huegel’s small size and nurturing atmosphere. Most of all, everyone feels safe, physically and emotionally. Teachers and staff respect the individuality and efforts of all students. At Huegel, learning and growing are priorities.
- Unique “school-in-the-round” (Strang Inc, 1965) nestled in a wooded hillside
- Adjacent to Huegel Jamestown Park—17 acres of landscaped and tall grass fields, woods and sport/recreation areas
- Far southwest side of Madison in the Meadowridge area
- More than 450 students in 4-year-old kindergarten through grade 5
- Bus service for children living at least 1.5 miles from school or west of Maple Grove Drive
- Breakfast and hot lunch available for all students, including milk option for brought lunch
- After school care (through Madison YMCA)
- American Girl Adopts Huegel
School mission statement
The goal of Huegel Elementary School, the “Pride of the Prairie,” is to inspire learning, success, respect for self and others, and kindness and compassion by creating a safe and nurturing environment that challenges every child to reach their full potential.